A properly working garbage disposal makes kitchen cleanup easier and more convenient. They increase hygiene and are an environmentally friendly method of food disposal. However, they do require regular maintenance and timely repairs to keep up with daily demands. If you are looking for trustworthy, reliable Colonial Heights garbage disposal repair and installation technicians, you are in the right place. Colonial Plumbing & Heating Co., Inc. is dedicated to complete customer satisfaction and will do everything possible to ensure your plumbing system is functioning at its best.
What are common garbage disposal problems?
Look out for these common issues that plague garbage disposals over time:
- Unit will not power on
- Jammed or leaky disposal
- Unusual sounds when disposal is in operation
Food buildup can get stuck on the disposal’s blades and cause excessive noise when it is running. Seals or screws can also become loose over time. Whatever the problem, we can get to the bottom of the issue and carry out the right solution. Troubleshooting problems on your own can be dangerous, as well as damaging to the unit itself. If your disposal fails to work, contact your plumber for help.
Read our latest customer reviews and see why your neighbors continue to rely on us for all of their plumbing needs!
When is professional repair required?
Below are signs you need professional garbage disposal repair services:
- Your disposal turns on but does not grind food while the motor is operating.
- If your disposal grinds food, but poorly, immediate service is required. Improperly processed food can clog drains, potentially resulting in expensive and messy plumbing problems.
- If water and debris are backing up into your sink, the blades or motor may need repair. Your disposal should maintain proper hygiene by eliminating waste in your sink.
What are easy maintenance tips?
Although repair and replacement services should be performed by a plumbing professional, there are ways you can increase the performance of your garbage disposal. Through safe and proper maintenance you can avoid unwanted problems and prevent costly repairs.
Here are a few easy examples of how you can take care of your garbage disposal:
- Use cold water when grinding food. Hot water can cause fats to melt and coat the mechanisms.
- Take care not to overfill your disposal.
- Run water before and after each use.
- Avoid grinding difficult items such as bones, coffee grounds, fibrous vegetables, potato peels, pasta, and banana peels.
- Avoid pouring chemical cleaners down the unit.
- To freshen your garbage disposal, run lukewarm water as you grind a quartered lemon.
- To clean the blades, fill the opening with ice cubes and rock salt. Run the disposal for about 5 seconds and flush with running water. This removes sludge and buildup.
Colonial Plumbing & Heating Co., Inc. is dedicated to helping you maintain whole home comfort. This means a hassle-free kitchen experience. Cooking and cleaning up afterwards is already time consuming. Don’t let a broken garbage disposal add to your chores.